27 November 2010

Gløgg

Gløgg is a hot, red-mulled wine that is common to consume in the Scandinavian countries during the holidays. The main classic ingredients are usually red wine, sugar or syrup, raisins, almonds, spices such as cinnamon, cardamom, ginger, cloves and bitter orange, and optionally also stronger spirits such as vodka, akvavit or brandy. One of my Danish classmates told me that some families put slivered almonds into the mix, with one whole almond. Whoever finds the whole almond gets a special Christmas treat, and the anticipation to find it keeps people going back to the punch bowl and drinking more!

All over Scandinavia 'gløgg parties' are often held during the month before Christmas. In Denmark, gløgg parties typically include æbleskiver (like a donut hole) sprinkled with powdered sugar and accompanied with strawberry marmalade.

This will be one tradition I will continue when I someday have my own family.

As most of us know, Sandra from the FoodNetwork is technically an alcoholic. Check out her gløgg recipe by clicking here.

1 comment:

  1. I would love to try this! I think it looks tasty. Great idea on the tradition as well :) Yum!

    ReplyDelete