30 November 2010

Juledag (Christmas Eve)

Christmas Eve is the major festival of the year. Danes eat their traditional Christmas dinner on Christmas Eve. The menu usually consists of roast duck and pork with caramelized and boiled potatoes, baked apple, and red cabbage. This is followed by a cold rice pudding with cherry sauce and chopped almonds. A whole almond is hidden in the pudding, and the lucky finder wins the 'almond gift,' traditionally a marzipan pig. Afterwards there is dancing around the Christmas tree (which is usually put up on this day) and the singing of traditional Christmas songs, followed by the opening of presents.

It is hard to be away from family and friends during the holidays, but luckily Erica will be visiting Denmark for Christmas and New Years! I am looking forward to her time in Europe.

I also have a big trip to Germany planned prior to her arrival to meet some distant German ancestors and drink a brew at the Seelmann Bräu. Click here to check out the website. I have been looking forward to this trip since I've arrived in Denmark considering I am only one country north!


The brewery is in a small town called Zettmannsdorf, which is a village of 200 inhabitants situated in the nature park Steigerwald - about 20 miles west of the Upper Franconian city of Bamberg in the town of Schönbrunn i. Stgw.


Well, this concludes blogging everyday in the month of November! It was not easy, and I apologize for some lame posts. The first three weeks of December I will find myself in studio finishing up phase 2 of 3 of my project.

Skål!

1 comment:

  1. I bet that Seelman guy on the sign looks just like you right about now. Burly beard, and all.
    Can't wait for you to get back here to Ames, but keep up the blogging in the meantime.

    Peace,
    Cody

    ReplyDelete